Habitat for Humanity Nova Scotia is registered with the Nova Scotia Registry of Joint Stocks. Officers of the Board consist of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary; the other Board Members are considered Members at Large. Copies of our By-Laws, policies and procedures and board liability insurance are available upon request. The board meets on average 10 (no meetings in August or December) times per year. Currently, meetings are held the second Thursday of the month from4:00pm-6:00pm.
The Board of Directors operates with 5 Standing Committees:
• Restore and Fund Development
• Build and Development.
• Nominating and HR
• Risk and Governance
• Government and Public Relations
Expectations of Board Members
• Regularly attend monthly meetings of the Board and important related meetings and events.
• Make a serious commitment to actively participate on a minimum of one committee.
• Stay informed about committee matters.
• Prepare well for meetings by reviewing documentation provided by e-mail for each meeting including minutes and committee reports.
• Participate in fundraising.
• Respect confidentiality of matters discussed at the Board.
• Real Estate/Land Development/Building
• Human Resources
• Social/Family Services
• Not for Profit board experience
• Government Relations
• Leadership experience