Help Create Change
At Habitat for Humanity Nova Scotia, we strive to bring together community and corporate partners and volunteers to build homes and build stronger communities – one family at a time. The Habitat partnership housing approach is transformational for partner families, for volunteers and for communities.
It all starts with a home. A home is more than a refuge from the world outside. A home provides safety, stability, and self-esteem. For those who lack a home, the effect can be devastating, especially on children. Studies have a home can impact on health, education, employment, longevity and more.
When you partner with Habitat Nova Scotia, you’ll be supporting a homeownership program that helps low income working families buy simple, healthy, affordable homes. Through volunteer labour, efficient management and donations of money and materials, Habitat builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses with the help of the future homeowners. Habitat houses are sold to these partner families at no profit and financed with affordable, no-interest mortgages. Monthly mortgage payments are put into our Fund for Humanity and are used to build more houses. Habitat for Humanity is not a “free hand out.” In addition to mortgage payments, each homeowner invests hundreds of hours of their own labour, called “sweat equity”, into building their own house and the houses of others.
Your investment in Habitat Nova Scotia builds homes for families AND it helps build community. Good housing in communities attracts economic investment that in turn contributes to thriving schools and community organizations.
We’ll help you develop a customized plan based on the strategic giving objects of your organization and the funds, expertise or products you wish to contribute. Here are some ways you can get involved:
- Contribute to local communities of interest through funding, gift-in-kind or ReStore
- Become a title sponsor, help build the home, and hand the keys to a partner family
- Engage your employees on a build site – no construction experience required!
- Develop a cause marketing campaign and donate a portion of sales
- Raise funds at your organization through employee fundraising programs, payroll deduction plans or corporate matching plans
- Plan and host a fundraising event – why not make it annual?
- Generate goodwill and elevate your corporate profile.
Too many families must struggle to get by without a safe, decent and affordable housing. Join us in our mission to eliminate this crisis. Help us build stronger communities.
To learn more about how you can get involved, contact:
Bridhid Langill, Senior Manager, Fund Development
To read about current corporate partnerships, see Our Partners.